The Canadian government after its latest draw, invited another 5,000 candidates to apply for its permanent residence, making it a total of N10,000 invitations issued in the month of November 2020.
The Express Entry cutoff score dipped below 470 for the first time in an all-program draw held this year, which is an indication of the Canadian Government’s willingness to reduce the criteria, so as to accommodate more immigrants into the country.
- In the latest draw Candidates needed a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score of at least 469 in order to be invited in this round.
- A total of 5,000 invitations were sent to Express Entry candidates, which ties this draw for the largest number of Invitations to Apply (ITAs) issued in a single draw.
- The new draw brings the total number of ITAs issued in 2020 to 97,350, a new record-breaking year for Express Entry, as the number of ITAs issued to date is the highest it has ever been.
- The large number of invitations is in line with Canada’s commitment to welcome over 400,000 new immigrants in 2021, from which most of them will be through the Express Entry system.
What you should know
- Nairametrics earlier reported that the Canadian government had given Invitation to Apply (ITA) to 5,000 candidates in November, which is the largest invitation ever issued in a single draw.
- Express Entry is Canada’s immigration application management system for three federal economic-class programs: Federal Skilled Worker Program, Federal Skilled Trades Program, and Canadian Experience Class.
- Candidates in these programs, as well as some Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) are given a score based on the CRS. Points are awarded depending on a candidates’ human capital factors such as age, education, work experience, and language ability in English or French.
- The highest-scoring candidates will then receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for Canadian permanent residence, following an Express Entry invitation round like this.
- Meanwhile, the Canadian government extended the mandatory isolation order and temporary travel restrictions for all travellers seeking entry into the country apart from the United States, to January 2021. This is in line with the country’s move to protect its Citizens from the spread of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Decline in cut-off score
This year, the CRS requirement has typically hovered above 470 for all program draws. However, the latest round of draw has seen the CRS cut-off score decline below 470 for the first time.
This move will encourage candidates with lower CSR score to intensify their efforts in getting better scores, so as to receive invitation in subsequent rounds.