The EREF Board of Directors has set an initiative to ensure research funded reflects EREF’s long-term strategic plan to address all areas of integrated solid waste management, with a strong focus towards research that increased sustainable solid waste management practices. The sustainability movement has reached the business models of nearly every industry in the United States, and many companies, municipalities and states have set aggressive sustainability goals that include how waste streams are being managed. EREF is an IRS 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and is one of the largest sources of funding for solid waste research in North America.
- Unbiased, scientific reports and analysis on waste management practices
- Scholarships for high potential graduate students and internships for highly qualified undergraduate students
- Targeted research to expand industry knowledge and understanding of the waste stream from generation to final disposition
- Improved public understanding of solid waste stream and sustainable solid waste management practices
- Increasing industry knowledge through educational programs
Pre-proposal topics must relate to sustainable solid waste management practices and pertain to the following topic areas:
- Waste minimization
- Waste conversion to energy, biofuels, chemicals or other useful products. This includes, but is not limited to, the following technologies:
- Anaerobic digestion
- Other thermal or biological conversion technologies
- Strategies to promote diversion to higher and better uses (e.g. organics diversion, market analysis, optimized material management, logistics, etc.)
- Non-U.S. Institutions
- There are no restrictions in regards to geographic location. Any U.S. or non-U.S. institutions are eligible to apply.
- Non-Academic Institutions
- Proposals will be accepted from non-academic institutions provided the principal investigators are qualified to conduct the research.
- Multiple Institutions
- Submissions may include multiple institutions.
Deadline: 1 June 2018
For further details on how to apply and more information, interested applicants should visit the Website.